There has been a manor house on the site on which Cottesmore Hall used to be, since the early 15th century and was owned by the Durant family. Two hundred years later it had passed to the well known Harrington family and then to the Fanshawes who were related to the Noel family.
The original house was replaced in the 18th century by, it appears, the Noel family with the intension of using it as a hunting lodge (although this is conjecture). It was certainly used for that purpose as the Cottesmore Hunt grew in in popularity and it became more fashionable for the nobility to stay there. This included the Prince Regent who was a guest of the 3rd Earl of Lonsdale (1814) Later occupants included Richard Westbook Baker, Sir Richard Sutton and Major Worsley Worswick. All of whom rented from the Noel family.
By the end of the 19th century the Lowther family became ensconced in the Hall with the eldest son of the 3rd Earl of Lonsdale, George, married the daughter of the Earl of Pembroke in 1878 when they moved into the Hall (George died as the 3rd Earl in 1882). They were soon joined by his younger brother, Hugh and his wife. They were now living with their mother the Dowager Countess Lonsdale with the two sister one of whom, Sybil, Married Major General George Knox in Cottesmore Church and continued to live at the Hall. The other sister, Verona Maud married Lord Randolph Churchill, again at Cottesmore Church. They also lived at the Hall for a short time before Verona appeared to have left Churchill (divorced in 1927) whilst he stayed on with his mother-in-law but left five years later. Another famous figure who stayed there for a short time was Peter Jackson the 'Black Diamond' who became the world champion bare knuckle fighter. He was there because Lord Lonsdale was his patron (the Londale Belt of boxing fame) Thereafter the Countess lived alone in the Hall (with numerous servants) until her death in 1917.
For some of this period the Cottesmore hounds were kennelled here in what is now the Colin Eassons garage before moving to their new kennels in Ashwell.
In 1927 the earl of Gainsborough sold the Hall to the Marchioness of Bute, who was more famous in Cardiff and the naming of Bute Dock that is now the centre of the Cardiff redevelopment project. The following year the Hall was being renovated when it caught fire which quickly spread through the roof. The Hall was repaired and occupied by nuns for a short time before being used as a base for evacuees from London, some in 1939 and others in 1940 up to 1943. In all about 40-50 children and adults were also billeted here with another 40 plus throughout the village. Near the end of the War number of American Airmen moved in. After the War the Hall was empty and in 1960 a corn dying plant was installed in part of the building. The main house was pulled down to make way for a new housing development. The last remains of the Hall converted into housing.