We began with the historical documents for Rutland which showed that in 1850 the village had a population of 601 and was entirely self- sufficient with Drapers, Miller, Baker, Butchers, Tailor and Dressmakers, Boot and Shoemakers, Carpenter and Blacksmith. There were two Inns in the village at this time. From then on we gathered information from the Directories and the Census returns which gave an overview of the range of businesses for each decade.
An interesting study of the present Fish and Chip Shop revealed that since before 1900 it had been a Grocers, General Stores, a Co-op, Butchers and now a Fish and Chip Shop and café – over 100 years of trading on the same premises. more >>
A parallel study of the Post Office using the Historical Directories , Post Office Records and living memory shows a chain of Post masters and Mistresses from the ladies who were "Designated as Receivers of letters" which they did in their own cottages, receiving the mail from postmen who had walked the 4 miles from Oakham and then later from postmen with pony and trap, to the formation of the Post Office as we know it today. We now have the names of all the Post Masters and Mistresses up to the present day. more >>
This oral recordings have also given us an interesting perspective on the recent past.